Friday, May 20, 2011

Ten reasons why I'll be running this marathon no matter what

Yeah, I know I've been the most uninspiring blogger ever… Setbacks, aches, pains, complaining, whining… Yee ha. It's a miracle I have any followers anymore - and thank you for the four of you who still check in from time to time :)

Oh, it hasn't gotten any easier since my last post. I felt slightly better the other day, enough to try to run and that turned into a 2 mile run/walk after getting lightheaded and nauseous about 2 seconds in.  The last two days I've dealt with a killer migraine that has been reigned in by overdosing amounts of Excedrin.  Oy. 15 days away from a marathon and I haven't run in 8 days. FABULOUS.

So what's gonna happen on race day? A whole lotta "sucking it up, buttercup" a whole 26. 2 miles of freakin' sucking it up. That's what. There's really no choice in the matter.

Despite all the bellyachin' and cryin' and everything else I've gotta do this.

Ten reasons why there is no turning back:

10. I've invested in too much stuff. I have gu's and sports beans, hydration packs and all kinds of crap that really only marathoners need. I will not have these things go to waste.
9.  Instead of worrying about the time I haven't run, I'll be damned if I let all those 3 and 4 hour long runs go to waste.
8. The bling of-course.
7.  I bought this shiny 26.2 decal begging to be stuck on the back of my trashy little car to jazz it up. This will be a whole $2.50 down the tubes if it remains un-stuck.
6.  I paid a whole lotta money for SD entry fees, flights, etc - it would be quite ridiculous to waste it now.
5.  If Dean K. can run across the FREAKIN' USA and EMZ can run for 24 hours on a FREAKIN' treadmill, then I surely can figure a way to crawl my way for 26.2 in San Diego.
4.  For Lesley, my coach and friend who I know will drag my ass if she has to, for Jason B. who I know will be cheering me on from afar and for Sara P and her mother Darlene who I'll be running 25th and 26th miles for. You guys have no idea what you mean to me right now.
3.  I spent some of my sick time downloading about a million new songs for my iPod and I'm looking forward to the jam.
2.  Pain is temporary and pride is forever. I will be devastated if I don't do this. Quitting is not an option so that leaves me with a marathon to run.
1.  Because on June 6th I will wake up a marathoner.

12 comments:

Holly said...

I love this post Jen! So many of your reasons resonate with me -- particularly about all the crap we buy that we need for running! And I am running my first full this fall and can't wait to put my 26.2 on my car! Above all, your #1 reason says it all. You will wake up a marathoner. That is a life changing thing, lady! You can do it!

Jason said...

Oh Hell Yeah!!!!!

This is going to be easy buttercup and by easy I mean the mind over matter portion because no marathon is easy.

And for the best part of it all is waking up, better yet, at 26.201 miles you will yell I'M A MARATHONER!!!!

Courtney @ I CAN DO THIS said...

YAYYY! Back in the game :)
You're gonna do awesome. I hope we get to meet up!

Sara said...

Jen!!! I'm bawling at my computer. Thank you for remembering me and my mom. We will be cheering for you loud as ever on race day - me from Columbus and her from Heaven.

I am so excited for you! It will be hard, you know that, and you will do it anyway because you are STRONGER THAN THE RUN! We said from the beginning you and I were on this journey together and we so are - right to the end when we become MARATHONERS!!!

You are absolutely amazing. Thank you!!

nikki said...

you are an amazing runner....you will run strong and finish like a champ!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

And on June 6th, when you wake up a marathoner... we are going to limp to a restaurant and celebrate with mimosas and a plate of pancakes sopping with syrup... you know what, maybe just room service! Bwahahahaha.

You have run a lot of miles, you have what you need to run this marathon. A friend said to me once... stop thinking about what might happen on race day, because whatever you *think* you know, something new will happen that you never thought of. No use worrying girl, because *we* are going to conquer this marathon. We both have our own journeys and our own demons with the marathon distance, but it will be that much sweeter sharing the finish line with you. I will see you in 2 weeks and 1 day. Freakin' EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!

Frenchie said...

You've got this!

Caroline said...

this list. print it and put that in your wallet and read that on June 4th before you go to bed
you will surprise yourself. we are stronger then we think most of the time

Jacky said...

You go girl! You got it!
Wise choice for sure!
You've so inspired me... THANKS!

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone! :D I'm lucky to have support out there in the universe!! xo It means a lot to me.

Detroit Runner(Jeff) said...

You've got it. Just do it.

runrabbit said...

you can do it. I started following since I'm an aspiring runner, reading you makes me think yeah it's possible.