Sunday, April 10, 2011

Pain is temporary pride forever -- 16 miles!

I ran 16 miles today -- holy cow! 16 miles! It was one of the harder things I've done in my life but I am so happy after today's run. 

The first few miles I'm usually a little itchy. It seems, leave it to me, I am allergic to running. Stop laughing. I'm serious. This is where 99% of my friends sarcastically insert, "yeah. Me too." 

I always get itchy hives when I run and it's been a mystery. I thought it was the pants, then I thought it was the detergent, then I just chalked it up to being a weird-o, but nope, it's been determined - I have something called exercise-induced Urticaria  it's not that big of a deal - the hives go away after a half an hour after running and they (random folks on the internet) say I can take an otc allergy med before running to help (haven't tried that yet) but it is annoying to be running and itchy.  Oh well. But, yeah. Awesome. At least I'm not a weird-o (at least for this reason).

Anyway, despite looking like a crazy person as I scratch my legs while I'm running, I am pretty strong up until 8 miles and then the hips and lower back pain kicks in -- thankfully by miles 12 and above the lactic acid and cramping have taken over my hamstrings and glutes, so that I no longer think about the hip pain so much. LOL and by this time, I've totally forgotten about the hives… so that's all good. :)

But in-spite of all the discomfort, I really felt great today. I felt alive and focused. When things got tough with pain I chanted, "Pain is temporary, pride forever" I remembered how running for 2 minutes straight once felt impossible, and then running a mile without walking an impossible dream and now -- today I ran for SIXTEEN MILES… just ten-point-two short of the finish line.

And yes, upping the miles even more is scary and intimidating but I believe in believing that I can do it. I love the Ford quote, "If you believe you can or you believe you cannot - you are right."

While I'm still not the quickest runner in the park and I'm still eating lots of fancy looking runners dust, I felt super victorious today and I really, really, mentally needed to get to mileage like this.

I am not going to sweat this training anymore. I'm going to do the very best I can. I'm going to get to San Diego and then somehow I will run a marathon.

XO

Jen





13 comments:

Teamarcia said...

Congrats on 16! that's no easy task. If yu can do 16 you can do anything.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

Yeah!!!!!! Distance record! I must've subconsciously been thinking about you because when I got home from my half, I ran 3 more. :-) Way to go girl!!! Here we come San Diego.

nikki said...

amazing!!! you are such an amazing runner, jen!! i am so happy for you....xoxoxo

Unknown said...

Thanks Nik -- You are too!!

Lesley, you are a rock star - run a race and do three more fro good measure. LOL love it!! So much thanks to you Lesley for EVERYTHING!! you have no idea.

Caroline said...

Yes you will. Congrats to you! 16 miles is a lot of miles!!! not many people can say they ran 16 miles..heck I can't!
I can say today I ran 10..that is now a piece of yummy cake for you my dear!!!

Sara said...

Jen! You're just awesome! I read your whole post with the hugest smile on my face because I know exactly how you feel - and I know you can do this. 16 and 18 were big runs for me too - I felt SO much better about running the marathon. You've sooo got this! Way to go, girl, I'm so proud of you and so glad to have you as my friend!!!!

Molly said...

that's fabulous! You've crossed waaay over to the othe side of a half, you totally have the full in the bag.

The Skårtist said...

Wow.

Blanda Amania said...

Woo hoo! Congratulations!

jamie@sweatyhugs said...

16 miles!?! Whooohooo! Congrats! Great job!

reluctantmomma said...

Holy Guacamole!!! You rock!!

I was AWOL for awhile and it makes me so happy to know that when I stop by, you are still going strong!!!

You amaze me!!!!

Jason said...

Your mental strength has grown immensly in this time. You are STOTAN!!!!!