Wednesday, May 5, 2010

My New 1/2 marathon goal... Day one - only 144 days to go

I found my new 1/2 marathon to run today.

It's the Newport Run in Jersey City NJ on September 26th -- I have all summer to train for it and my new goal is to run it in 2:50 or under - which would make it almost a full 30 minutes quicker than the one I just did.

The Disneyland one is September looks fun but I'm not sure I can financially commit to a trip - if I do a Disney one, I am considering the one in January at Disney World.  We'll see.

Here's the link to the Jersey City one:  RUN WITH JEN!! CHECK IT OUT!

It's 145 days away - so all of you peeps who've said that you are interested in getting serious about running -- this is one with plenty of time to prepare and one that's in a pretty decent time of the year (average high is 74 degrees.)

And a lot of the run is along the water - how pretty does it look!?  Jersey City sure has changed since I was a kid.



Take it from this former size 16, who could only run for one minute on February 8th when I started - nothing will give you more of a sense of accomplishment than for you to say, "Yeah.  Let's do this thing." And then follow through.  It's work but it's not impossible.  Feel free to e-mail me if you need help getting started with training.  Jenroe@me.com

Speaking of running, got back to the gym today.  I'm still a little achey from the marathon but I didn't want to let the momentum die.  Ran pretty good for a mile (between 5.0 - 6.0) which is good speed for me.  Then did another mile kind of slower - fast walk/run - everything was starting to hurt after the first mile so I thought, I'd better slow my roll and not over do it.  Tomorrow I'll get in a non-running work out and I'll try to run again on Friday.

For you runners - Do you ever not get sore muscles again?  I'm waiting for the day that I can run hard and be OK - is that impossible?

XO
Jen

4 comments:

Azrhiaz said...

I've yet to get to that point. I keep thinking that one day it'll be easy, but that first mile always sucks the big one.

Unknown said...

LOL, Karen. Sigh - such is a runner's life :)

Frannie said...

I think I'm in for September with you! You've inspired me. You're right... running when your music shuts down sucks...found that out last night... you had me running at 9 pm last night with your no excuses blog....jerk. :)

Unknown said...

LOL -- Awesome Frannie!! That would be great if you ran in September!! :)