Tuesday, June 4, 2013

IronGirl training: Just keep swimming

So I went to my fancy new gym and decided to get in the water for ten minutes and see how many laps I could do without stopping for ten minutes.

I don't know. I think it was about 14 laps at 25 meters each - for about 350 meters. That's pretty slow.
I did have to stop here and there for a second or two because I was sharing a lane and I'd have to stop to navigate. I also got a weird foot cramp in the arch of my foot that I had to shake out.  I've been getting a lot of cramps lately as a matter of fact. Last night I had to jump out of bed three times because of charley horses. I really have to figure out what I'm deficient in and fix it. Hmmm.

Anyway, although slow and still kind of awkward, I did feel a little better in the water today than I did the other day. So that's some progress.

After the swim I jumped on the treadmill for three miles. I was pleased with my run it was a good speed for me. And I felt both dorky and cool with my new "I tri" bondi band that my friend Dawn sent me in this load of Moms In Motion goodies last week:

I got a huge care package of stuff!
Thanks Dawn P.!
In other news I'm very annoyed with my weight. I've been meticulously counting points/calories. I've been exercising more (at least I feel like it) and most annoyingly, I've cut way down on alcohol - and I'm up a pound! WTF? I'm not liking that plus I'm sober and hungry. Grr. 

Oh well. I will keep plugging away - maybe if I just keep swimming?

XO
Jen

11 comments:

Michael said...

I get cramps in my feet and calves when I swim all the time. I'm not sure it's deficiency as much as a sign you have tight calves/Achilles...at least that's generally the case for me.

Unknown said...

Ah thanks - at least I don't feel alone then! Good information!

Scott said...

Sober and hungry...not good. lol

Unknown said...

lol Scott - so upsetting actually.

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

I was going to say that maybe your legs are just trying to get used to the new muscles you're using with all the swimming you're doing. Lots of stretching and foam rolling?

Lori said...

I have been told that when you get foot cramps when you swim, it generally means you are dehydrated. I don't know if that's true, but I know when I drink more while I'm swimming, I usually don't get them.

Unknown said...

I could be slightly dehydrated. Have to admit I haven't been on top of drinking my water. Little bit here and there but probably not enough. Thanks Lori will try to keep that in mind.

Anonymous said...

New follower! I do water aerobics and Zumba. Unable to swim laps yet but I'll get there.

Colleen said...

hmmm I find if I keep hydrated and up on potassium (bananas are sooo a must in my house at all times) cramps keep to a minimum. I agree with what Lori said about the dehydration and cramps, I know they are linked for me. Good luck!

Unknown said...

Welcome Crystal!

Thanks Colleen - I do eat a lot of bananas - but I definitely struggle with water! I don't know why - I'm just never thirsty and I forget. Something I have to work on.

Surfbux Global Market said...

Training your muscles with lighter weights fashions your body to be more efficient for the three parts of the race. Train with a bunch of weight exercises a couple days a week using a 15+ repetition rep scheme and you'll keep in good condition for the race.

training for a triathlon