Sunday, April 28, 2013

Getting back in the groove - kind of

Well after being totally laid out with the flu for more than a week, I finally began my trek back into running.

It hasn't been the greatest last few weeks/months of running. With being back and forth to KY with a full work load, it wasn't easy to keep up with the miles I wanted to be running in preparation of my next half scheduled for a week from today. I was managing a few miles here and there and had hoped to come back from KY with at least time for one decent longer run of 8 miles - but with the flu I couldn't make that happen.

Oh well. It is what it is.

So on Friday I finally decided that the flu had passed enough. I was not (still am not) 100% but feel that it wasn't unreasonable to give a short run a shot.

Well, Friday was rough. I just did one test mile and everything was on fire. My legs felt heavy and my chest was screaming. I finished that mile in a coughing fit and all that carrying on only netted me a 12'26 pace. Which is OK. I guess. Again, it is what it is.

The lungs on fire feeling and the coughing fit passed and I felt like I could do it again. So yesterday I set out for two miles. It was good. My lungs still burned and I still ended with a coughing fit but the same 'feeling' effort resulted in a 10'55 pace. A little better. Tomorrow I will attempt a 3 or 4 miler.

Being that I literally only ran 26 miles for the whole month of April and more than half of that was within the first 7 days of April, i am shitting a brick about my half next Sunday. I've got no goal but to finish it and I'm still not sure what my plan to do that is - walk/run? Run really slow? Just run and hope for the best? Hitchhike the last 3 miles? I just don't know.

April's unimpressive milage. Yeesh.

The last year seems to have been tough for me to train the way I've really wanted to for these halves and I'm kinda bummed about that. I was really looking forward to perfectly executing (or at least coming somewhere near the vicinity) of my training plan this time. I am dying to run a race where I feel "ready" or as ready as I can be - I want to go in feeling strong and capable of running my fastest race - not trying to figure out how much I'll need to walk to get to the finish line :/

Oh well. It is what it is.

Maybe next time.

Have you ever felt under-trained for a race?

XO
Jen


7 comments:

nikki said...

you will do your best...have fun and enjoy the experience... you were sidelined, but you shall come back jen the runner!!

Kate Geisen said...

I've run lots of races not nearly prepared enough. Sometimes it just is what it is and you do it for the experience instead of the result. Good luck!

Scott said...

Hey Girl!! You make me proud by just keeping going no matter what life throws at you. Good luck!

misszippy said...

I think most of us never feel perfectly trained..life gets in the way. But I'm sorry you've been down with the flu. Hopefully you'll have smooth sailing moving forward!

Julie said...

Jen!

You are an inspiration! Even though you may feel undertrained, remember that even if you finish that half marathon crawling on your knees you still finished, you did NOT give up!

I, too, fell through in my running for April, but I can't let that get me down. I'm no halfer yet but I'm getting there! I will one day run like the wind! :)

Good luck, and let May be a good, healthy, running month for you!

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

*raising hand* I am guilty of undertraining this month and it shows in my pace. The nasty effects of overtraining the month before! I WILL follow a plan for Diva in October and execute it to the best of my ability! There's always another race, right?

We're not perfect. If everything had gone spit-spot perfect, what would you have to blog about? Makes for a fun read, yes?

Sara said...

I am glad you are feeling a little better and now you will accomplish whatever you set out to do. I love your new look/header - it's great! You continue to be a source of inspiration to me. Take care!