Tuesday, April 2, 2013

4 people at the gym I just don't get

When the weather sucks I head to the gym to use a treadmill - one of the upsides to using a treadmill is the opportunity to people watch.

While the majority of my fellow workout peeps are just going through their own workout there have been a few folks that have made me scratch my head and go "hmmm." I see these type folks EVERY time I go to the gym and every time I see them I think, I need to blog about this. So here it is.

Here are four gym goer types that I just don't get:

photo credit 

  1. The dude in jeans. Uh. I don't get you, sir. I admire your commitment to fitness but I can't see why you're in jeans. They are heavy, don't breathe and let's not begin to consider the chafing that can occur. It wouldn't be so weird if it was a fluke thing (I mean I even did a little run in snow boots when I was in Kentucky just because I was desperate to run and didn't have sneakers with me) but I've seen a few jean-clad dudes at the gym and it just seems like an unusual wardrobe choice for working out.
  2. The text-ercisers. I get it, once in a while something important happens and you might be interrupted in the middle of your workout to take a call or send a text. I'm not talking about that guy. I'm talking about the guy who drags at a 1.1 on the treadmill, texts for 20 minutes and goes home. Huh? I've seen a few people do this and it always makes me scratch my head. If you're going to bother to get to the gym don't you want to make it count a little? I guess it's better than just sitting on your ass and texting which leads me to…
  3. The seat warmers. These are the folks who got their asses to the gym to apparently warm seats all day. They sit on the exercise bikes or a weight machine and seem to never actually use the equipment. Often they are text-ercising or chatting with other seat warmers. Sometimes they are the dudes in jeans or they are…
  4. The prom queens. These are the girls who show up in very fancy workout clothing or short-short shorts and a Victoria Secret bombshell bra under a tank top. They sport perfect hair and makeup and usually have something written across the ass of their short-shorts. The prom queen almost never works out alone. (To be fair I'm usually pretty jealous of the prom queen's legs - perfect even though they don't work out hard.)  Prom queens can usually be found side-by-side on an elliptical machine having a conversation about something like last night's episode of The Bachelor. Even though they are on an elliptical, they move slowly as to not have their makeup melt or a boob pop out. If one goes to the bathroom the other immediately becomes a seat warming text-erciser. 
Anyone at your gym that you just don't get?

XO
Jen

23 comments:

LKPheartsfood said...

I don't get the people who HAVE to take the machine RIGHT NEXT TO ME when there are a dozen other empty ones. This is my gym pet peeve! Well, it's tied with the people who talk on their cell phones while working out! I really, really don't like those people.

Unknown said...

That's a gym pet peeve of mine too!

Sweet and Savory by Sarah said...

I try not to judge on looks simply because I'm a pretty strong believer that at least they made the effort to go to the gym, no matter what they look like BUT one thing that drives me absolutely crazy is smells. If you smell bad, I will move from my treadmill to another one further away from you without a second thought. If you smell TOO MUCH as in too much perfume or deodorant, I will move further away from you. If your breath stinks. I will move away from you. I get very sick feeling if I smell too many scents when I run, even if they are nice smells, I just can't handle it.

nikki said...

i love it.... all those people are at my gym. i bet they also have some things to say about me. however, today at the gym, the run/walker next to me with his glad bag jacket on (really!?!?) had tremendous GAPO... gorilla arm pit odor. and no, it wasn't me. if you're gonna go, go all out and mix in some deodorant and save those around you trying to breathe.

The Unexpected Runner said...

You are hilarious! Ha! I was in a class once and overheard one lady say she 'was going easy because she didn't want to shower' .... Which basically means she came to class to chit chat. Sigh.

Ramblings of an Honest Heart said...

I have seen many people running around the park by my house in jeans.. it horrifies me, doesn't that hurt?

I can't stand the gym goers who don't wipe the weight machines down after using it.. like I want to sit in your sweat or clean it up for you?! ;-)

Jennifer K. said...

Are you sure they're texting? I mean, they probably are, but I've recently started recording my workouts on the notes section on my iphone. It beats carrying around a notebook and a pencil. I have no idea if people notice/care/wonder what I'm doing. Then again, there's no cell signal in my gym so even trying to text is useless.

Unknown said...

Thanks for all the comments! The folks I have in mind are definitely text-ercising. But I do see how some might be recording notes or something. I use my phone to time intervals sometimes, as example.

BTW, all of this is in good fun I don't mean to judge anyone jeans, push-up bras, seat warming and all. I mean everyone has the right to use their own time as they see fit… I simply sit back and say, hmmm…

Elle said...

I have never seen any of those 4 at my gym... but there is a guy there who dances on the treadmill and is always shaking and rotating his shoulders... at least I THINK he is listening to music.. and he wears the same clothing all the time... yuk! :)

Colleen said...

This is hilarious, I love it! I have seen all these people, and I am with Sarah- I can't stand the stinky ones. I don't mind a little BO but it sucks when you are running and you get bombarded with fart over and over again....just eww!

Julie said...

My biggest pet peeve is the girls who come in with a camel-toe! you know, those tiny ass shorts hiked so far up their vag you can see the layers! YUK. How unhygienic, not to mention the discomfort you must feel. GROSSSSSSSS! >.<

Justice said...

I have to agree with the smells! If someone is right next to me with 3 days worth of cologne, hairspray, perfume or whatever I have to move. I swear I'm suffocating.. I do not enjoy at all the people who actually have cell phone conversations while on the treadmill. My gym does have rules against it, but it is rarely enforced. I really don't want to hear someone argue with their significant other while I try to work out. I used to always see jean wearers at my old gym but now it is very rare.

Anonymous said...

LMAO! So true, it annoys the hell out of me. If you bother going to the gym, work out a little. Walking is fine, but at 2.0 with no incline?

Unknown said...

Ha! You sound exactly like my husband. He constantly comments on the Armani exchange wearing people at the gym - seriously who works out in Armani? The texters are the absolute worst though!

RunToTheFinish said...

Gold's Gym used to be a dynamite place for this discussion :) oh the guys in jean shorts and construction boots... ahh makes me laugh

Scott said...

I have seen this twice workout in v- neck white t-shirt golf shorts black socks and loafers...seriously..two different guys two different times.. I checked to make sure it wasn't the same person. Doing the weight machines..at least they weren't running on the treadmills.

Kitty Fantastic said...

This is hysterical! love it! I havent gone to a gym in years now I know what I'm missing!

Lorenda said...

I agree with the above commenter who said, when someone gets on the treadmill right next to them when there is a row of at least 10 empty treadmills! Never could figure that one out!
The WORST is the ladies with heavy perfume. I've had them on a treadmill next to me and it's so strong that it burns my nose and then I swear I can taste it. WHYYYYYY a gallon of perfume to go to the gym and exercise?????
I rarely run on treadmills these days; now I remember why!

Unknown said...

I am willing to bet the Jersey PROM QUEEN is much more interesting than the MAINE PROM QUEEN. I want to bitch slap them and their perky boobs!! lol

I would LOVE to see what I would look like after one of my workouts in all that hair and make-up #HOTMESS

Renee said...

How about the ones circling the parking lot for the closest parking spot...only to hop on a treadmill. If it was such a bother to walk an extra 30 seconds, shorten the workout!

Or the ones lighting up a ciggy as soon as they are out the door. Is your health important or not?? Confused!

Renee said...

How about the ones circling the parking lot for the closest parking spot...only to hop on a treadmill. If it was such a bother to walk an extra 30 seconds, shorten the workout!

Or the ones lighting up a ciggy as soon as they are out the door. Is your health important or not?? Confused!

Melissa @ Faster In Water said...

I saw a woman last week bring her large purse/bag and her winter coat into the treadmill area. she set on each "arm" of the treamill, effectively making it so no one could run beside her because her stuff was overflowing into the other treadmills. Frustrating!

Mama of Boys said...

Too funny...... my girlfriend and I were just talking about this the other day..... LOVE the girls that sit on the weights checking out the guys with their make up all done and perfect hair......LOVE IT!!!

Sara
http://crazymamaofboys.blogspot.com/