Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The best run ever and a little more yoga

I was going thru my blog and revisited my goals and races page to check something out when a comment caught my eye. I'm sure I saw it when it came in but paid no mind. Today it made me look twice. It literally read:



Whoa. Seriously. Out of all the runners out there, you Google "Worst Run ever" and I come up!? Way to put out the good vibes into the universe - eh?

So I was curious. And I googled "worst run ever."

And sure as shit - there I am in the number two spot.


I couldn't even remember why it was The Worst Run Ever but then I looked it up. It actually was a pretty bad run - I remember the day now, I was supposed to run 10 miles and could barely do six. I walked a bunch during that run (something I almost never do) and couldn't find my groove. Oh well. Anyway if you want to go back in time, here is the post

So what about the best run ever? 

Well, it probably wasn't my best ever but I'm determined to turn what I'm putting out in the universe around and today I had a great run. It wasn't my furthest or fastest but it felt good.

It was only 3 miles but lately I've been really sitting in my comfort zone when it comes to pace. I've been running a 10'30 to a 11 min mile lately. Now don't get me wrong. It's still an effort, I don't feel like I'm crawling at that pace but I am fairly comfortable. So today I decided to dial it up just a bit. I wound up running an avg. of 9'48 - but really, my first mile was at an 11' (warm up mile) and the last 2 were around an avg. of 9'12 each. I was out of my comfort zone for five minutes at a time (alternating between 6.5 - 7.0 for five minute and returning to a 6.0 / 6.1 for 'recovery' - slightly speedier 'recovery' than usual too). It was tough but I loved eyeing the dude on the tread next to me who was 20 years old and never went above a 5.8 and was dying. hee hee.

I finished feeling exhilarated.

And in other fitness news, my journey to yoga continues. I went this morning and I still suck at it. I still feel awkward and inflexible and struggle to come anywhere close but it's a work in progress. But I have to say that the instructor is very encouraging and patient with me. She takes a lot of time modifying moves and demonstrating the way I should attempt poses and that's really cool.

I was thrilled to meet a future runner in class. She is in the midst of her weight loss journey and has already lost a lot of weight thru yoga. She is plus sized but she was awesome at yoga and very inspiring to me. She randomly mentioned to the girl next to her that she was thinking of signing up for a 5K and the couch to 5K program. Well I lit up like a Christmas tree, I was so excited for her! She said that she ran for one minute the day before and it was significant for her. I told her that was exactly how I started! I hope to run in to her again and that she really starts the running thing. She has no idea how it can change your life. It completely changed mine.

How are you doing? Yoga? What was your best run ever? Worst?

XO
Jen

5 comments:

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

I didn't comment when I first read this last night because I wanted to think about the question you posed. Most recently I think both my worst and best run ever happened in Ragnar! That 8 mile 1st leg in the southern FL afternoon heat and humidity nearly knocked me out and I felt I had to walk a lot. What normally would have taken around an hour and 25 minutes took me nearly 2 hours to finish. But then that last leg, which was less than 2 miles, was wonderful. I wasn't that much faster, but I never stopped to walk and I felt vindicated from my crappy leg.

Unknown said...

worst run ever? my first 18-miler in dead 90* summer heat with no nutrition or water (it was in the early days of my running-wth was I thinking)

best run ever? Ragnar, watching the sun rise on my 8 miler thru the keys!!

just started yoga per coach. its good

Unknown said...

haha okay the second I read this post I thought "wait a minute... didn't I leave that comment?!" and yup... it was me. lol I hope you know what was more important is knowing that I wasn't alone in having a bad running day and that in and of itself was inspiring and comforting to hear.
Glad it inspired you to write a best run ever post though. By far my best run ever was my first race... San Jose Rock n Roll half marathon. I finished it and thought... I will do this for the rest of my life if I feel this great/proud/exhilarated after. :)

Unknown said...

Haha, Andrea - you did write it, and when I caught on my phone that you commented I started smiling that you saw this post.

Honestly, I am very appreciative that you posted that and that i come up in google at all! LOL - and if my tough experiences help others - well, then they were worth it and not so bad after all! :)

Thanks again for your comments!!

Unknown said...

https://beritateknologi.biz/demokrat-angkat-ahy-jadi-calon-wakil-presiden-anies-baswedan-pks-tidak-permasalahan/