Thursday, May 2, 2013

NJ Half Marathon at the Shore - Bring it on!




As I told you in my last post. I am woefully undertrained for this half.

And I have had some tough experiences when not properly trained.

But - WHATEVER. I am super excited for Sunday.

It's going to be a beautiful day. At race start it'll be around 58º and the high expected to be around 68º.

I'll be running through the streets of our beloved Jersey Shore, that was hit hard by Hurricane Sandy but we're showing that we are "Jersey Strong" and coming back.

I will think about the Boston Marathon. About the runners and spectators affected. And how they are coming back, "Boston Strong."

I will think about Heather Boyum, the runner (and Mom in Motion member) who lost her life when a drunk driver struck her on her bike during triathlon training.

I'll be running amongst my fellow Moms In Motion runners - many who will be running their first half and I can't wait to see the joy they experience when they cross that finish line.

And as important to me, this is a significant race for me. It'll be my fourth time running it and it was four years ago, at this race, when my life changed forever. It was my first finish line. The first goal I set in running and the first time I proved to myself that I could do things I never dreamt possible. It was a life changer for me and I will forever have a place in my heart for this race and place.

after my first half with Angela who flew in from CA to pace me!

The second year I did the race, I had this incredible experience and last year was when my husband crossed his first finish line! This race has never let me down.

last mile of year number two of this race and experiencing complete
joy in running


On Sunday, thanks to not being trained, I won't break any PRs, I will be doing a lot of walking, taking some breaks for stretching and will definitely be amongst the back of the pack. And it's gonna be fabulous and beautiful and awesome.

Hubby and me last year
First or last, I'll cross the finish line and I can't wait.

My friend Linda reminded me of this awesome lady this morning. There is no quit, just moving forward until you get there.



XO
Jen




7 comments:

misszippy said...

Good luck this weekend! So great that you get to run a "hometown" event like this. After Sandy, it will be all the more meaningful.

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

Well, you gone and done it! You made me cry, just looking at the picture of you running with our arms in the air and that smile plastered across your face- true joy. You'll be on my mind A LOT during my half. You and Charlie will get me through.

Amy said...

Good luck this weekend. You have a great attitude about it. I'm sure you will have a blast!

Amy Z said...

I will be cheering on lots of Jersey runners this weekend. I'll look for you!

Carly said...

Cheering you on! Have a great race!

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

UGH! I just read your post to Charlie and watched Ruth's video with him- crying again! I definitely WANT that feeling of being a marathoner!

Colleen said...

Have fun- what a great attitude!