Thursday, April 29, 2010

Day 81 - almost there!



I'm starting to get super excited!  Only two more days!!  I've been training and working towards this for 81 days now!

I'm so proud of myself for this journey - regardless of what happens on race day because this was an amazing experience and life lesson about perseverance.  About pushing away excuses and going for something.  About working through road blocks, dealing with set backs, struggling with emotions, hard days, tempting food, bad weather, achey joints, crappy sneakers and illness.

It's about getting knocked down but always getting back up again.  It's about goal setting.  It's about accepting imperfection.  It's about shooting for the moon and landing in the stars.

My whole life I've gotten hot for some big idea, only to see it fade away after a few days or weeks.  To hit a wall and let it slip through my hands.  This is the first (meaningful) time I've set a physical goal so big and pushed towards it, no matter what.

It also feels good to have committed to and followed through with writing this blog (even on boring - not much to report days.)  I missed one entry and that was because I simultaneously had the stomach flu, a power outage and not much to report anyway.  I do love writing but every night this blog takes up a decent chunk of time out of my life - somedays, thinking about and coming up with something that I think might be relevant and interesting (plus keep myself thinking) takes as long as and is as challenging as a run!  So just being able to do this has been awesome.

Thank you for being a part of this life changing journey with me.

XO
Jen

PS:

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh sweet! That's so fun!

MegK said...

Hi Jen!
I've just stumbled upon your blog, and I'm totally hooked! I've been toying with the idea of picking up running, but I've never been in very good shape. Your journey is so inspiring! Just wanted to say congrats on all you've accomplished and best of luck on Sunday!
-Meg

Unknown said...

Awesome Meg!! Thanks for finding me :) You should totally stop toying and start running. It's something that I've found to be really surprisingly rewarding.

The Skårtist said...

I can't believe it's been 80 days ... on the front end it seemed like such a long time but now it feels like it has just flown by. All your work on the blog has not gone unnoticed. When I have a dull moment or a day where I need a little pick me up and inspiration I end up checking hourly to see if your post is up yet. So I hope that last posting wasn't a prelude to you telling us how you are going to blog less now that your race is done... I have come to expect my daily dose of Jen's words of wisdom!

Frannie said...

Yea, almost there... I have a colleague who just finished her first half Marathon about a month ago... she already signed up for another half one and is planning the full Marathon for next year. Seems like that's a good way to keep going! See you tomorrow online!

Unknown said...

AW, gee thanks Sara and Frannie -- I'll just have to keep challenging myself to crazy things so I can find stuff to write about. Damn this writing habit! :)