Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Day 73 - 10 days to go - I LOVE running (kind of...)

Let's get something straight.  I don't love running.  That's right I said it.

I can't even count the amount of people who've told me, "that's great what you are doing, but I don't like running, so you know..."

Listen, I didn't get to my highest weight of 236 pounds by loving to run.  Nooooo sirreeee.... You know what I love?  Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia, greasy chinese food, and laying in bed watching John Hughes movies with a few good reality shows tossed in for fun.

I love sitting on my ass, surfing the web, dirty martini's and Thanksgiving dinner.

I love pancakes and sausage or a giant egg, cheese and taylor ham sandwich on a BAGEL. (tres Jersey...)

I even love (sorry Morgan Spurlock) Big Macs (shudder) super sized.

I loved smoking cigarettes, drinking pina colada's and getting caught in the rain - (OK, not the rain part.  Busted.)

Running didn't even make the "like" list.  In fact I think "root canal,"  "changing tire on busy highway in snow," and "sitting in the middle seat between smelly man and screaming toddler on airplane," once ranked higher than running.

But no more.

I rarely do any of the above "love" things any more.  If I have one Mickey D stop a year, that's a lot.  I make homemade oatmeal pancakes, I occasionally have a little low fat frozen yogurt and I haven't really had a cigarette since the early 2000's...  And I'm happy.

And when it comes to running, actual running?  Well, I'm developing appreciation for running itself but here's what I do love:

A sense of accomplishment, confidence, moving my body and doing something good for it, better blood pressure, stronger bones, feeling less depressed, looser pants, smaller size, healthier weight,  feeling more in control - knowing I'm preventing future bouts with diabetes, heart disease, stroke.  I'm extending my life and the quality of that life.

And I LOVE life - that's what it's really all about.

So love running?  Eh.  I guess it's better than a root canal.

XO
Jen

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see this blog compiled into a magazine article or book someday. I know it's going to happen! Bravo Jen!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Ang. That's quite a compliment! :) I speak the truth tho, you of all people, know how I liked those yucky cigarettes and (not so yucky) cocktails!! lol

Kathy said...

Great post, Jen ... you had me LOL. And it's all so true. I'm not a runner, but sometimes I think it would be cool to be one. Truth be told, sometimes I have dreams where I'm running and I love it. Who knows, maybe someday! See you Saturday. :o)

Unknown said...

Thanks, Kath -- you could do it, just takes work and eventually you'd kind of like it, even! ha. ;) see you Saturday!