Sunday, February 28, 2010

Day 21 - 62 days to go! (mini) VICTORY Lap! :)


Today was a momentous day for me training wise.

First of all, I hit the good 'ol 21 day mark.  Anyone who's ever read anything about forming habits will tell you 21 days is the magic day where if you do something enough it becomes a solid habit... So I guess running for me is a habit now :) Who would've thunk that?

And it's a proud day for me.  To kick off getting in marathon shape, I began following a program called 3 weeks to running 30 minutes.  I committed to it and I did it.  I did not miss one training.  Through snow, through working early and late, through taking care of the baby and through all the emotional stuff - I did it.  The first time I've truly followed through on something of this sort and I'm feeling really good about it.

I do have to say that it's really thanks to you my friends, who comment, encourage, believe in me and give me advice - that I've been so motivated.  When faced with a day that training seemed tough I always thought of this thing.  I might have to freakin' blog for the rest of my life to keep this exercise thing up but ya know, you gotta do what you gotta do.

I didn't realize it until this morning but today was the "3 week" day.  The day to run 30 minutes.  I woke up to a congratulations e-mail and the assignment.  (It wasn't 30 minutes straight - I ran for 5 minute drills with 1 minute walks in between.)  My last minute, my VICTORY lap, I cranked up the treadmill to 5.5 and blasted "Paradise City."  It was awesome.

And then I wiped the sweat away, strutted back to my car and remembered that this is just the first of many victory laps for me to take.  I will start the next phase of training tomorrow... "Learning how to run longer distance," is the program I'm thinking of signing up for.  Wish me luck and I'll keep you posted!

XO
Jen

4 comments:

The Skårtist said...

woohoo. I remember that feeling. Never thinking I could run for 30 minutes either. Now the world of possibilities has opened wide. If I were you. I would go straight into the half Marathon training program (If Angela hasn't sent it to you yet, have her do it asap) -- I think I tried the learning to run longer distances one but wasn't as good as the one you just did. And when you up the training remember there is no shame in keeping the run/walk protocol. Just try to make it consistent. I like the run 10, walk 1.

Unknown said...

thanks, Sara! I am moving on to 1/2 marathon training. :)

Angie said...

Awesome! Good luck on the next section of your running journey. I'll be right here with ya. :-)

Unknown said...

thanks, Angie :)