Tuesday, February 23, 2010

day 16 - Still running :)



"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."   - Doug Larson


I like this quote because it gives me a little inspiration.  Starting off as a completely out of shape, overweight, non-runner - I now realize what a lofty goal a 1/2 marathon is for a first timer... A 1/2 marathon with a time limit no less! However, I was so ignorant to the running world that it didn't occur to me to aim lower (like starting with a 5K.)


This is probably a good thing in a weird way.  I'm forced to train hard, to push myself beyond familiar ground to go way past my "comfort" level, I've put myself in a position where taking a day off or skipping some training isn't an option.  I really cannot do that.  I do not have the luxury of time.  I really could use another month but it is what it is.  From all this Secret and Canfield stuff I've been taking in, I am starting to believe that it's only when we leave the realm of our comfort level that we start to grow - both mentally and physically.  I also know that the mental training for this thing and the belief that I can and will do this may even be more important than the physical training.   And as nervous as I am about the whole thing  and no matter what happens I do feel like a changed woman just by coming this far. 


Training today called for running for 2 and walking for 1 for 24 minutes straight (and five mins to warm up and 5 mins to cool down.)  I decided to stick to 2 minute drills and up the speed as well as the incline.  Tough!  Jersey Tomato red again by the end of the work out but I did it.


Hey look at me -- found another 4 followers - I've got 10 followers!  So exciting! :)


By the way, a few people have asked what I'm running... It's the NJ Marathon Festival at The Shore.




xo
Jen



2 comments:

Angie said...

"I am starting to believe that it's only when we leave the realm of our comfort level that we start to grow - both mentally and physically." - So very true. If everyone consistently stayed in their comfort zone we would never experience or witness change. Although change is hard at time it can be very rewarding. Keep up the great work. And thank you for being such an inspiration. Reading your blog has gotten me back OP. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Angie, thank you for reading this thing everyday - we motivate each other!! :) Good luck in your journey too! Keep me posted on your progress!