Thursday, October 10, 2013

Can this relationship be saved?

First of all - thank you for all the kind comments and notes you sent in regards to my last blog post about my son. We continue to have good and bad days but I know that we'll get to brighter days soon. I  also want to stress that he's an amazing kid and we are so blessed to have him in our lives. If you look sideways you will always find someone who has it easier or has it tougher and that's how it is for everyone.  It was a hard post to write but also healing. So your kindness does really help.

But on to another topic. One that is also hard for me to write about. One that I dread having to even explore.

Recently, I fell in love with a new pair of sneakers. I went out of my comfort zone of Saucony's and Brooks and used a Foot Locker gift card to order a pair of New Balance Sneakers off line.

I didn't know what to expect because I couldn't try them on first. I tried to find them in store but I couldn't find them - I did some research and hoped for the best.

It was love at first sight.

Beauty
And the fit. OMG the best. They felt light and springy. They hugged my foot snuggly but not too tightly, while still giving me the support my over-pronating feet need. I know it's my own crazy but I even felt faster. 3 miles - great! 4 miles - great! - 5 miles - woohoo! Even 7 miles felt good. And no blisters!! I was ready to buy several pairs of these babies just to have them in reserve.

7 happy miles

I've never fallen so hard for a pair of sneakers.

And then I did a nine mile run and my big toes felt a little achey - I thought not much of it. My son accidentally stepped on the left one (which didn't help) and it continued to ache. So I peeled off my toe nail polish and my toe nail is purple. Uh oh. If I'm being honest (and not trying to ignore the only little problem with these heaven-sent kicks) they are probably the teeniest, nearly unnoticeably, a tad tight in the toe box - but nothing that immediately struck me. In fact, so blinded by love am I that I don't even care that my toes ached a little after the runs - the only reason for the rational thoughts of breaking up is I'd rather not lose a toe nail if I can help it.

Though, it might be too late?

sorry. I know it's gross
Do I need to break up with my sneakers? Can I ignore the fact that they are maybe a wee bit tight in the toe box? I know Food Locker won't take back worn sneakers (I only went through FL because I had a gift card) I think going up a size will make them be way too big for me. Can't I just pretend that my son stepping on it is probably the reason it got so bruised? (The other toe did stop aching eventually and is normal color.) 

I have a ten mile race on Sunday and I soooooo want to run with these - my other sneakers are either too old or give me blisters after 4 miles. And I love my NB's. I really do. 

Have you ever had a pair of sneakers that you just love though might not be best for you?

What would you do?

Have you ever lost a toe nail from running? I did the third toe nail in once during marathon training. Didn't hurt a bit. Not sure how the big one would feel though.

XO
Jen

PS: I got an email from an author. She's giving her book away for free - I haven't read it yet so I can't necessarily recommend it but for free, it could be worth the read here are the details: This Friday, October 11th in celebration of “International Day of the Girl,” I will be offering Weight Loss, The Screenplay: Discover Your Inner Superstar and Manage Your Weight for Life for FREE on AMAZON! You’ll be able to download it for FREE until midnight, Pacific Standard Time on Friday.

Here’s the link to the book page on Amazon: http://amzn.to/16MjChS



6 comments:

Jana said...

I had the exact same experience with a pair of Nikes that I loved. They were amazing as long as I was running less than 10 miles. More than 10 and my toes and the balls of my feet really starting hurting. I figured out that the toe box wasn't wide enough for me. I switched to Mizuno Wave Creations and haven't looked back.

Unknown said...

I had that same experience with a shoe I loved, went up a half size and "aahhhh" the angels were singing.
worth a try.

are you SURE you cannot return them to FL? It's worth a try...

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

I've loved Nikes just because they are so cute and the sneakers that are good for me look like Fred Munster's! But, running pain-free won out...

Elle said...

I am pretty sure you are gonna lose that nail! I would go up half a size too, and TRY to return them. I wouldn't wear them to run again though. Tough.

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie said...

As a previous shoe-store employee, I can tell you they will most likely not let you return worn shoes. HOWEVER, you should get in touch with New Balance. Sometimes they offer their styles in wider widths in the toe box, and New Balance's customer service was unmatched when I worked at the store (granted that was almost 5 years ago but still).

If NB or FL are a no-go and you're stuck with them, try using a men's dress shoe stretcher. They are relatively cheap and are used solely for the purpose of stretching and forming a shoe's toe box.

Good luck!