Tuesday, March 8, 2011

I've been running and busy - two quick shout outs...

always some kind of foot pain. yee ha
I have had a few successful runs and one HUGE long run fail.

UGH - Saturday my 10 miler got cut to 5 miles because of throbbing blisters on my pinky toes. - at 2 miles they hurt at 3 miles I knew I was in trouble at 4 miles I sucked up the pain enough to at least get to 5. I never had blisters like that - even walking around without shoes on hurt for two days! Apparently, those great sneakers I just bought were just a little too narrow in the toe box :(  I suspected that after the first 2 runs in them but was hoping they just needed to break in. They felt so good just walking around in them and they felt fine for the smaller 3 mile run but not until you really run some miles do you always know how sneaks are gonna work out, I guess.

Luckily, shout out number one: RUNNING WAREHOUSE ROCKS! I called them, apologized that I had run 3 times in them, explained the situation and the friendly customer service agent, Kate, said that while it's not their policy to let you return already worn shoes, she would let me do it and agreed to allow me to get a different pair. No drama, just very pleasant customer service. I was impressed. I was fully ready to accept that I was going to be stuck with a pair of sneakers I'd never wear again.  I will be a customer for life. 

I'm going back to the basic pair that I started running in a year ago. I really liked those the best so I'm sticking with them. 

And shout out number 2: big thank you, thank you to LESLEY at  RACING IT OFF! She's been a great bloggy friend to me for many months now. She even has made plans to run the San Diego RNR marathon so we'll be meeting for my first big run. Fretting over my lost weeks and missed runs, she took my running plan and went week by week, day-by-day for the rest of my training program to custom tailor it for me! =)  How nice is that? And her program looks so much doable for me while still building the miles.  I feel so much mentally "back on track". 

Lesley, you're awesome. Thank you! 

All in all my ankle is doing fine. Strangely, my left hip has been achey after runs (like it used to be when I first started running) but I suspect that it's "growing pains" from hobbling strangely for a few weeks with the injury. It's annoying but I'll live.

How are you all doing?

XO
Jen




10 comments:

KovasP said...

Compression shorts might help with the hip - did for me!

Emz said...

kovas has a photo change?! what the?

YAY for RNR SD!

Anonymous said...

You are so welcome! Gotta have you at San Diego!!!! So glad they replaced your shoes, what a pain (literally).

The hip - are you running on an uneven surface? Parts ok my lake route slant toward the water and it kills the hip that is lower on the slant, so I try to alternate which direction I run the loop.

Jason said...

Yeah for Leslie and being able to return shoes.

That is a good time right there.

I am so excited for your race you have no idea.

Jenn said...

I LOVE Running Warehouse! I just returned a pair of shoes after running in them twice and ended up with shin splints! They were friendly and said I could return them for another pair! I didn't even have the box anymore.

Unknown said...

Thanks all - I'll check out the shorts, Leslie, I'm baffled about the hip. I'm running on a treadmill! I think maybe it was the sneakers/injury/I don't know… but it'll work out. I had a lot of hip issues when I first started to run and it eventually went away.

Jenn - i threw out the box too! I am loving them.

Anonymous said...

Maybe due to some compensating for the injury??? Sometimes we compensate without even realizing it. :-)

Unknown said...

I think that might be it. I'm not sweating it. It's all good.

Sherry @ Life from my persective said...

I hear we are going on vacation together in June! Looking forward to reading your blog and getting to know you!

Unknown said...

Yippee Sherry! Thanks for letting me crash with you guys :) can't wait.