Friday, November 11, 2011

Friday Fast food Favorites: Cheap Eats that won't kill your health goals

DO NOT try this at home
Listen, I'm all about clean eating. If you have the time and money to always whip up a little quinoa/squash and organic whatcha-whatever - that's better. Do that. I strive to eat as clean as possible but… I'm also a realist that juggles a lot of stuff and a four year old toddler. Sometimes, I don't have the time or energy. And sometimes, I'll admit it, I'm just freakin' lazy.

None-the-less, I did lose over 90 pounds and came to rely on some of these foods on occasion.

So while I wouldn't encourage anyone to eat fast food on a regular basis every once in a while you might be caught out and about. It doesn't mean you have to throw it all away on a double-sized number one with extra mayo and cheese...


Here are my favorite go-to's that are not only affordable, they are under 300 calories:

1. Wendy's. Wendy's is my number one favorite fast food restaurant for when I'm stuck eating on the road or in a mall. There are a number of decent choices. I usually like to order a small chili and a side garden salad. I top the salad with one of the fat free or reduced fat dressings offered. The chili is high in fiber and low in fat. I have also ordered the baked potato and mandarin oranges off the menu. Small chili (no added cheese or crackers): 220cals. 7grms fat. 6grms fiber.
skip stuff like mayo and load up on veggies
2. Subway. Between thumbs up votes from their spokesperson Jarrett and the cast of the Biggest Loser, most people are aware of Subway's healthier options. Even Apolo Ohno teamed with Subway to raise money when he recently ran the ING NYC marathon. Stick to whole grain breads, lots of veggies, mustard and turkey breast for a low calorie sandwich. 6" Turkey sub with mustard: 280cals. 3.5 grms of fat. 5grms of fiber.
3. Pizza. Being a Jersey girl there is always a slice of pizza from the local mom and pop shop within distance. I like to top my slice with a bunch of healthy veggies when possible. An average slice of thin crust cheese pizza (from non-chain pizza parlor) is 272 cals. 9.8 grms fat. 1.8 grms fiber.
Again, these choices are no match for cleaner eating. I'm pretty sure sodium levels and processed words run rampant in some of these choices but at very least these choices provide a little bit of fiber, are portion controlled and are not a total fat and calorie disaster.
When in doubt order a salad or plain burger and be aware of fried toppers, fatty dressings and extras like cheese and croutons. 
mmm - a warm fuzzy blanket of comfort food
Honorable breakfast mentions: Starbucks 'perfect' oatmeal. Oatmeal that comes with a packet of brown sugar, dried fruit and nuts. This isn't super lowcal but it's one of my favorite pre-race breakfasts. If you skip the dried fruit and only use a touch of brown sugar, it's probably a little healthier. If I'm at McDonald's I'll get their new Maple Oatmeal with fruit or just a plain, old-schoool, Egg McMuffin. 
Do you have an affordable "kind of" healthy fast food go-to?
Happy Friday everyone!!

XOXO 
Jen

4 comments:

Katie said...

oooh, the granola/fruit/yogurt combos usually get me. this is a great list!

Jason said...

I don't recall the last time I ate at a fast food place, but if you are sticking pizza on the list then yes that would be it. I refuse to eat from Domino's, Papa John''s, Pizza Hut or any of those places.

I am now ordering my pizza w/o cheese and I love it more as I taste the tomatoes and all the veggies instead of it being over-powered by the cheese.

Mandy said...

Lately, for some reason, I've been addicted to McDonald's fruit and maple oatmeal....and I've never really bean a big oatmeal fan so I can't explain it.

I also am a sucker for any yogurt, granola and fruit combo.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Katie! I like yogurt options too - that's a better way to go.

Mandy - i only recently tried the Micky D's oatmeal (ironically I got a coupon to try it for free in a recent race swag bag) and it was better than I thought it would be - but the Starbucks one is really great! Just have to be careful with that a little because that dried fruit probably has as much sugar as candy - and nuts are a little caloric - but it's great prior to a long run. It really seems to fuel and keep me satisfied.

Jason - I was waiting for you to smack me for even writing a fast food post! LOL - I agree -I like a cheeseless pizza too - mmmmm for extra garlic and basil. Bring it. Some of my local pizza places even offer whole wheat crust now.

I would (say with Jersey accent) NEVA order Dominos or Pizza Hut. I can't even believe they stay in biz here in Northern Jerz.