Sunday, July 7, 2013

Tri Training and The Bike: On a Roll

I am so sorry running but I have a new love.

I didn't mean for it to happen. I thought it was just innocent flirtation. I'll never leave you completely but I have to admit it.

I love the bike.

Today was my second time on the thing and I rode for 12 miles. I felt 100 times more confident and it just felt so good. Even in the oppressive heat I caught some nice breezes and my favorite park whizzed by. It also was 100 times more comfortable because my triathlete friend Scott from Train Fat Boy immediately caught that my bike seat was waaaay too low when he saw my last post and urged me to fix it.  Luckily, today's ride was with the Moms In Motion and Dana (our fearless coach and leader) helped me get it adjusted right. Wow - what a difference proper seat height makes!!

I am second from the left pink shirt - MOMS In MOTION ride


I got my ass out of bed on a Sunday morning at 5:30 AM to be at the park by 6:30 AM - Unheard of! But once out the door I felt good and I was so happy to be on that bike path. Maybe I can become a morning person after all.

I can see why triathlons are so addictive. I'm having a blast mixing up my workouts and learning new things. It's scary, challenging and fun all mixed into one.

After the bike I ran for two miles and even the run was slightly more electric - I felt bad ass for just riding for an hour and now was running too.

I've been keeping up on swimming too. I am coming along - slowly. The good news is, I'm not afraid of the water. I grew up with swimming lessons and flapping along in the deep end of pools and lakes. The bad news is I'm slow and not a particularly great swimmer. I've been studying YouTube videos to get proper technique and they've been helpful - but I've learned that there's a LOT to think about. How I tilt my head to breathe, how you point your toes, flex your ankles, not to kick from the knee, tuck chin and stare to the floor to make sure your hips float more and your kick isn't too deep, fingers together, stroke…  etc, etc. so much to think of and I feel like it takes me forever. But even still. I've never finished a swim session and hated it. I always enjoy my pool workouts and am looking forward to getting somewhat competent. (I know. I aim high. Just keep swimming and don't drown is really the goal.)

But poor running. I just don't have the same passion for it. My runs have been 2 - 3 miles lately. With this baaaaad heat and humidity I haven't had the motivation to run longer. I guess that's OK for now as I have no half marathons on the calendar. I do have a ten mile race in October that I can't forget about though.

Don't forget to try to enter and win an Armpocket! You have until July 15th to enter!

Don't forget there is still time to sign up for an Iron Girl Triathlon and save $10 on your entry. All you have to do is find your race here and enter IGfinishline at checkout.

Have you discovered anything new along the way that you enjoy to do more than or as much as running?

XO
Jen

9 comments:

Jason said...

Look at you! Badass.

I have to say though that I disagree with two of the tips you point out regarding looking straight down and the fingers being close together.

I keep my eyebrows at the water line. If my eyeballs drift down that is fine but I keep my eyebrows at the water line as much as possible.

Also, I keep my fingers spread just so slightly. Think of it like the way a ducks webbing is. Their toes are not right next to each other although it is because they have webbing and we don't. Even still the water forms the web as you catch and pull.

Keep up the great work!

Unknown said...

Thanks Jason :-) I'm so thrilled to be doing this. I've secretly (or not so secretly) admired you really badass triathletes from afar for years so just to be dipping a toe in the waters is majorly exciting.

The fingers together thing came from an actual class I took in Culver City, CA with Clay Evans who won a medal at the olympics and has won all kinds of accolades in swimming so I have really taken that one seriously, tho the webbed finger theory makes sense to me.

The head thing is a toughie. I'm finding when I do stare down my hips do elevate much easier/better towards the surface of the water but my head is so far in the water now that it exerts more energy to get my head up enough to tilt and breathe. I don't know. Lots of practice in my future. Lots of trial and error. Probably many more YouTube videos. Lol.

Scott said...

Once we get you addicted to biking we will get you addicted to mountain biking!! As far as the fingers when swimming. I keep mine slightly apart also..just whatever is the most comfortable. I was taught to look down..in the pool I am looking at the bottom. In an actual race I probably am doing it only about half the time and trying to site the other half.

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

I would definitely drown from panicking over that checklist! Great job on overcoming all of your fears and broadening your horizons!

Michael said...

Biking can be scary sometimes, but just so much fun! I'm glad you've found a new love.

As for swimming...man it just never seems to get any easier, at least for me. I've done clinics, read books, watched videos and I'm still about the same speed I was 4 years ago. maybe I'm a slow learner :) Good luck!

Lovemenow said...

Great Job .. Nice ..
.
Shedding pounds/Losing weight is never an easy task. Other interesting piece of information when it comes to diet and health; ultimatefatburner.com provides relevant information to have a healthy body.

Colleen said...

That's awesome! I have this love/hate relationship with biking- I love it on a stationary bike and love spinning but sometimes feel like a scared child when I get my outdoor bike up to speed going down a hill. Way to rock it out!

Melissa @ Faster In Water said...

I leave my fingers together - some people call it the karate chop hand or you can envision it by saying it is how a queen waves at her subjects - if that makes sense! As far as head position (and most everything else), as long as it works for you, if should be good. Men and women carry their weight differently,aka having boobs makes your center of gravity different.

Great job on keeping at swimming, it really is a million things to think about, but once you have an aspect mastered it will be like second nature.

I have found that I really like biking too. It is a little scary, but the breeze you get even when it is hot out is worth it!

Unknown said...

I like riding and swimming too. I'm slow in the water; that and the extra time that I need to work that into my schedule is a real deterrent. I am starting to love yoga - and it builds my core like nothing else can.