Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Don't give up so easily


As I hinted in my race report, I've been having a tough time lately. I struggle with bouts of depression and I've been muddled in a mild bout for the past few weeks. It's been tough. I remind myself of all the blessings I have and try to remain as positive as possible but it's hard. When I go through these bouts it's literally like having a grey cloud sitting on my head. There's a dull ache in my head, a dullness to everything and just a general, overall, yuck. I hate it. But it's part of my life and I do my best to deal. I know it will pass and I no longer dive my feelings into food. I do find relief in exercise, especially running and running so hard I'm gasping and sweating and hurting. That really helps a lot. 

In addition to feeling a little blue it's been a challenging summer. I have felt overwhelmed personally and then there is my weight.

My happy "perfect" weight is about 145 - my I'm OK weight is 148, my "this is it" weight is 150. I have to officially be 152 to "be free" at Weight Watchers as 150 is my goal and you have two pounds of wiggle room.  So 152 and over is my "Oh shit" weight. 

I have not paid for Weight Watchers since 2010.

Today I had to pay. Oh shit.

I probably hit about 155 but the last few weeks I've worked my ass off to try to fix that. I have counted every point, I've cut out most treats, I have run harder and longer, I have added more workouts, I've done a lot and the scale isn't really moving. I thought I got it down enough to at least hit 152 for free WW.

But I didn't. I was 152.4 -- I missed the boat by .4

And I about lost my shit. I had to seriously work hard not to cry on the scale - which is absolutely ridiculous. I didn't cry on the damn scale when I was 250 pounds. I didn't cry on my WW journey when the scale went the wrong way. (OK I might've complained but I didn't cry.) 

I feel strong and healthy. I don't even hate my body or how I look. Getting this upset and obsessed is not my usual thing. What gives?

I lost it because in all the chaos I've been going through and the bad feeling of late I really needed the small victory of feeling in control of something. And I wanted desperately to be able to say - "it might all be falling to crap but I've got this thing!" But I didn't. And it really punched me in the gut. 

Not to mention that in the back of my "fat girl" mind I'm always worried about the slippery slope - the fear that a few pounds will somehow come back as a hundred.

Well. 

I went home, took a shower, put on some lipgloss and headed to NYC for a big meeting today.

I decided that it was OK to be up in weight. To be overwhelmed, to not necessarily have it all together. I'm doing the best I can at any given moment and that has to be good enough for me. 

I kind of got serious with myself. 152? REALLY. This is what is going to make you come undone? I mean talk about being silly. I decided to truly count my blessings. I'm such a lucky girl. I can't let the depression, the weight, the black cloud and mean girl voices rob me of my happiness. It's always going to be a challenge but I have to battle back. I can't give up. 

And on the way to the city the clouds began to lift and the sun began to come out. I started to feel better. 

I had a great meeting. Things were starting to turn in my favor. And then I got to the subway platform  for my return home, in time to see the doors to my train close. I had just missed it. My face must've said it all, as I thought, "Shit. Of course a day late and a dollar short again."

The conductor saw me and said, "Are you getting on this train?" I said "yes." And he opened the doors for me! If you've ever ridden a NYC subway, you know they do not do this. They do not reopen the doors once closed. I felt lucky.

He then came into the car and double checked that I was on the right train. I said thank you and he said, "Hey, no problem. You know, you shouldn't give up so easily."

I know this all sounds like it's straight out of some corny movie or episode of GIRLS - this stuff really doesn't happen but it happened to me. On this day of days that I needed to hear it the most. His words resonated with me.

He's right. I mean talk about the ultimate cliche. A door closed but another one opened. You just can't give up so easily.

XO
Jen

8 comments:

Azrhiaz said...

Sometimes it's like you take what's in my head and type it all out.

So glad the conductor made your day!

Karen

Carly said...

Awwwww! I <3 you!! What perfect timing for him to say that to you! Thanks for sharing.

Melodye said...

I needed that today - thank you!

Melodye said...

I needed that today - thank you!

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

When the conductor opened the doors, so did my floodgates!! Since when is there even a conductor on the subway?? I know I'VE never seen one! The kindness of a stranger reminded you to be more kind to yourself. love.

nikki said...

AMEN!!! trying to get myself back on track as well...with running, my weight, my head. you're a warrior, jen the runner... never ever give up...xo

Nellie said...

I have had times like yours too. I was told by a wise therapist long ago to make a list of everything I had to do and cross them off when I was done. She had me rewrite my list on a new page each week but I wasn't allowed to get rid of the old lists. When I looked back and saw how much I had accomplished (crossed out), my mood was so much better. I was able to give myself credit for what I did because it was right there in front of me. Eventually I got my moods under control and stopped listing but I still go back to it when I am feeling overwhelmed and depressed. It's a real eye opener! Good luck and the loss is nothing to be depressed about! You are awesome and inspiring! Keep it up!

saturday morning diet said...

Motivation, Motivation where are you when I need you!! We all struggle.
You have a very nice website and interesting insights. It is always wonderful to see people sharing their weight loss stories. We try doing the same on our site: http://www.joandietbars.com where we offer our FREE 100 calorie meal replacement recipe that you can share with your followers. We have over 430 videos and articles on weight loss.