Thursday, February 17, 2011

Not running really sucks

UGH. 

It's been less than a week since my last run but it feels like forever.

I am grateful that it's a minor sprain (I can get around) but this not running thing is driving me crazy.

The bitchy voices in my head won't let up: "you did this to yourself," "you're going to slip backwards," "you messed up your training and will never run a marathon," and my favorite - "you are already getting fat again."

Seriously.  And I weighed myself today fully expecting to have gained 10 pounds - braced for it, in fact. I was hoping that the damage might be a little less… like only a five pound gain. Started the pep talk of what I'll have to do to shed the new weight.  Then I got on the scale, I'm the same exact weight as I was prior to the accident. But that's how crazy I  make myself.

I'm dealing though. What can you do? Even though I injured myself in an annoyingly stupid way,  injuries happen to the best of them. Would I be beating myself up any less if I tripped over a rock while running? Slipped on an ice patch from daring myself to run in crappy weather or something? Probably not - though I would feel slightly less embarrassed I guess. 

New BFF
I plan on making friends with an exercise bike tomorrow. Wish I had access to a pool.

I couldn't get to the gym today. I did do a million arm exercises with some weights and ten minutes of abs to feel like I was doing something - but I couldn't break a sweat and barely got my heart rate up, but trying to keep my head in some kind of place of fitness.

What have you done to cope during an injury?

XO
Jen




10 comments:

Michael said...

I just found your blog and what a cool story. I'm so impressed that you are already doing a full marathon. I've done 2 halfs, getting ready for my third and contemplating signing up for my first full...still seems dauting.

I've been injured too many times to count, it seems everytime I make progress I end up taking a few steps backward. A year ago I was in a boot for 6 weeks and couldn't do any exercise..then over the summer I developed a stress fracture in my tibia. Injuries suck. It's hard to keep motivated so great job!

Unknown said...

thanks so much Michael for sharing - and for finding my blog! training for a full actually is daunting! :) But I'm going to keep on plugging and hope to get there.

Injuries are annoying but I guess there are a lot of things in life we deal with that are annoying and it's not about the injury as much as it's about how we handle all of it.

Jason said...

Rock that bike kiddo. You will work up a sweat from that puppy in no time. Don't fret the weight gain b/c you know too much now to let that happen again. You are going to do great in San Diego.

Anonymous said...

The rest will be good. Look at it as having a fresh body to ramp up training.

I just started marathon training this past monday. You are way ahead and have plenty of time. ;-) No worries. The finish line is still out there.

You are doing the right thing by resting and not pushing to run and making it worse. That takes smarts and good self-awareness. :-)

Unknown said...

Thanks to you both… heading to the bike-a-rooney now!

Emz said...

Let that bike be your friend.

I rode a bike just like that last night I was suprised how "okay" it was. ;)

Happy weekend!

The Skårtist said...

if you are going to do the iron man you are going to have to start biking soon anyhow... ;) AND find a pool

Unknown said...

;) Love it Sara… I am kinda hating the bike.. might be the ironman deal breaker for me (never mind the "ironman" part…)

Julie @ HotlegsRunner said...

hey just thought I'd check on you. hope you're on your way to recovey. hang in there =)

Unknown said...

thanks, Julie… I'm hoping to get running by Friday, though it's still bothering me - I'm not limping