Wednesday, March 4, 2015

TCS New York City Marathon Drawing Day

The day of the 2014 NYC marathon lottery drawing started like it had for the last 3 prior years before. A feeling of hope, excited anticipation and desperate want filled my soul and getting that elusive golden ticket occupied my thoughts.

It's a day where I will obsessively check my email, NYRR account status and credit card statement dozens of times (I now know my AMEX number by heart) like a crack addict waiting to find out the location of my next hit and then the sinking, sickening feeling of getting no update, no obscene credit card charge to my credit card and the slow realization that this, again, would not be my year. The feeling of despair and (I hate to admit) envy as I saw people celebrating online like this:

"Wow! I'm so lucky!! Got in the lottery for the third time to run NYC!" 
"My credit card is charged! I'm in!"
"Who's running NYC with me!?"

And then the final, 'you're not in' nail was in the coffin upon seeing this message on the TCS NYC Marathon Twitter and Facebook page


Well. There was no charge on my credit card, so no dice. I was crushed. Truly crushed. My fourth year trying to get in and I just knew I was getting in. But I was wrong. I was literally in tears and took to social media for a little consoling from my friends.




But then, somehow, a miracle happened.  A big fat, "Miracle on 34th Street" and the rest of the city type miracle because just as I was giving up my dreams this popped up in my email:

Wait. What!!?


Best. Email. Ever.

And then to be sure I rushed to my NYRR account and there was this:


So start spreading the news... I'm running NYC, baby, and I couldn't be happier.




XO,
Jen 



10 comments:

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgCvbyaHKdQ

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!!

From Ice Cream to Marathon said...

Oh my gosh!! Wow, what a HUGE range of emotions you must've had in that time. Congrats girl!

Jennifer L. Nelson said...

Congratulations! Yep, this pretty much sums it up...NYCM lottery day is a ridiculously emotional/crazy/unproductive day. How exciting for you! I ran it last year and got in for this year, and there is NOTHING like the NYCM...you will LOVE it! Congrats again!

Unknown said...

I'm so happy for you...
http://wp.me/p5NIsT-14

Melissa @ Faster In Water said...

Ahhh! Congratulations, girl!

luicita said...

I just discovered your blog, and I feel so the same... You must be so happy being accepted for the marathon!!!
By the way, I'm french, I've lost 18kgs.... (mmmmh.... how much is it in lbs???) for now and I'm a new runner.... And I love that!!! When I see people like you, I keep the motivation...WELL DONE!

Anonymous said...

A feeling of hope, excited anticipation and desperate want filled my soul and getting that elusive golden ticket occupied my thoughts. TCS

nikki said...

congrats jen!!!! that's awesome!!! so excited for you!!!

Alicia said...

Congratulations! I will hopefully be there too. Nervous and excited!